Tuesday, March 17, 2015

This is me, this is who I am

   Briar Hill Farm is located in West Michigan where we raise Nigerian Dwarf and Nubian goats,         Russian Orloff, English Orpington, Maran, Wyandotte chickens, Sebastopol geese and corn Snakes.
    I attended college at both Ferris State University and Colorado State University, majoring in horticulture.  My love of both plants and animals has stayed with me since childhood.  I began seriously gardening at eight years old when my parents gave me my own space and a few plants and seeds to start with.  My intensity has only increased with time.  I've branched out into not only gardening, but also hybridizing and preserving my harvests.
    I want to spend the rest of my life breeding plants and introducing people to new and exciting things.  I have a passion for heirloom fruits and vegetables, especially apples and tomatoes, and preserving the future by preserving the past.  I feel there is little sustainability in current agricultural practices.  Monoculture needs to become a thing of the past while crop rotation, companion planting and permaculture is the answer to many of our pest and nutrient depletion problems.  
   My future plans are to own my own destination nursery, specializing in rare trees and perennials, heirloom plants and my own introductions.  Display and trial gardens would not only be for showcasing plants sold, but would also act as experimental beds for new horticultural practices and to hopefully provide landscape inspiration to home gardeners.  I want to focus on educating and bettering the community by offering educational opportunities and city beautification projects.  
   My goal for this blog is to share thoughts and ideas, photos and stories that will help inspire everyone to take control of where at least a portion of their food comes from and to show how simple it can be to grow plants for both consumption and beauty.  While my writing skills are meager and my photography poor, I sincerely hope that readers can gain something from my posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment